I wasn't going to blog about this but it's been on my mind all week and I think writing it out might help, plus I think it's a good reminder to us all, otherwise I would've just kept this in my journal.
New Mexico is beautiful. I love the weather here, I love that it snows and then melts but it's gorgeous when it snows and it's not too much. At least that's what I thought until Monday morning. Sunday night a storm blew in and it snowed. When I got up for work in the morning I looked outside and it was still snowing a bit but I figured it wouldn't be too bad driving in to work. I knew I needed to give myself extra time to drive to work so I hurried and got ready and was on my way. A few minutes after driving, the snow started falling harder and it was hard to see. I thought about calling in and saying I wouldn't be coming in until later (I was doing computer stuff all day, not on the floor) but thought oh no, better get used to it. Ten minutes into my drive, a car in front of me was slowing down so I stepped on my brakes and I went sliding. I can't describe what happened, it was just one of those times where I didn't really know what was happening but at the same time did know. I didn't know what to do and I just kept praying that I wouldn't flip. Luckily the car stopped I basically did an upside down L except I went to the right not the left. I was fine, the car was fine and I drove the rest of the way to work but VERY slow and the entire day I was shaky and still in a bit of shock. Truthfully, it could've and should've been a lot worse in my opinion and it wasn't. And I KNOW it's because I have people watching over me and protecting me.
This whole week I've driven that road and that spot and I look and see where I could've gone into a big ditch or hit a light pole or a fence but I didn't. I stopped a short distance from a fence and the ditch was a little ways down and so was the pole. I know that when I hit that patch of ice and went sliding, someone was protecting me and watching over me and all was well.
It is moments like these though that remind me how precious life is and how in any second or moment, in can change. That's why I always tell the people I love that I love them. It's important to me. Is it important to you?? We all have people watching over us and protecting us. I'm a firm believer in that and I hope that you all know never to take life for granted and be safe on the roads!!! ;)
I've learned my lesson. The ladies at work gave me tips on driving in the snow and how to step on the brake pedal and turn the steering wheel and so on and so on but I'm definitely not a fan of driving in the snow. New Mexico is still beautiful and I love it, but when it snows again, I hopefully will be comfortably inside but if I do have to drive, it will be very SLOW and careful :)
Just a tip for the week, be careful driving in snow and remember we have guardian angels watching over us :)
Good thought... I love ya Kati!
ReplyDeleteAlso, that happened to me today but being in canad this is not an infrequent thing hahah!! xx
Good luck! I'm glad you are OK. It does get easier...While I prefer to stay home when it snows...I don't cry every time I have to drive in the snow either :) Stacie
ReplyDelete