Sunday, June 3, 2012

Trip To San Antonio

So I kind of debated blogging about my trip yet or not.... still waiting on pictures from Lisa's camera but I guess I can do the written part now and post pictures later ;) Warning though, due to my lack in blogging lately this may get lengthy since I need to document my life's moments more in depth ;) So sit back, relax and enjoy the read lol (it really shouldn't be that long lol)

For work I had to go to a 3 day Nurse class. Originally back in like February, my boss had given me the option of going to San Antonio, Tulsa or Kansas City. Of course San Antonio was my #1 pick :) I was originally scheduled to go in April to the class but due to a schedule conflict it got post poned until the end of May. To be honest, when I found out the class was the day after memorial day and that I would flying out on a holiday, I wasn't too thrilled about that. Sure I'm use to flying places but not during holiday weekends because it can get CRAZY!

So I prepped myself that it was going to be a crazy day no matter what flying on Memorial day. My flight was early 7 a.m. and I was scheduled to get into San Antonio around two. So of course I emailed my friend Melissa who lives there with her family now to see if I could do something with her since class wasn't starting until the next day. So we made plans and I was super excited. I had a friend from the branch take me to the airport Monday morning so my car wouldn't be sitting in the sun for a week. So I get to the airport, and mind you.... Farmington Airport is very small, no one else was there. So I go to check in and as the lady is LITERALLY checking me in a guy from outside comes in to say that the flight has been CANCELLED! This is at 6 a.m. in the morning and I didn't sleep very well the night before, hadn't eaten and was just really not a happy camper that my flight was cancelled. The worst part about it was, was that a flight had just left 10 minutes before to Denver. So if I had been ten minutes earlier all would be well. Crazy! So my friend who dropped me off had to get to work and since it was so darn early in the morning.... I just stayed at the airport. No need to wake anyone else up lol ;) So for about an hour and half it was just me and the airport people ;) seriously. Thank goodness for Netflix and free wifi to keep me occupied and of course the vending machine for some breakfast. The original plan was to just get something when I landed in Denver but since I had four hours before I even got to Denver....the vending machine it was. Then the lady at the desk told me that the ONLY flight they could get me on to San Antonio after I landed in Denver was not until 7:40 p.m. that night. Great! So I literally spent 7 hours in the Denver airport. If any of you ever have a flight to Denver... I'm quite familiar with the place and can totally tell you where things are ;) Sadly because my flight wasn't getting into San Antonio until 11 p.m. that night I wasn't able to see Melissa. But because I did have a 7 hour layover I was able to see my friend Steph who also had a layover in Denver for 3 hours so that was good!!!

Needless to say getting to San Antonio was quite the adventure. I had rented a car because I felt weird about getting a taxi places and by myself and even though Melissa had offered to pick me up I figured getting a car for the week would just be the best thing. So I rented a car, drove to the hotel and totally crashed. Class was the next morning at 8:30 so I had to get up early and get ready to go. The hotel shuttled us over to the office building (yes I could've driven but I was kind of tired and didn't know where I was going). So I had my nurses class the next three days although the last two days we ended up just having class at the hotel because they were doing construction in the office. My friend Lisa who I met at prep in April was there and we were roomies :) After class Tuesday though, I decided that with Lisa it would just be cheaper to return the car and take a taxi places. I was fine with the taxi ordeal as long as I was with her lol. I kind of have a fear of going in a taxi alone! So anyways, first we decided to drive down to the Riverwalk and check things out before returning the car. So we went to the Riverwalk and it was amazing!!! I promise I will post pictures when I get them! I totally loved it!! It was SO great! It was a little hot and humid but really not that bad and it was just so awesome! We ate at this Mexican restaurant and it was so good! Afterwards we took the rental car back and then went over to take a taxi. The first taxi in line the guy looked a little unsafe. I didn't have a good feeling about it so we waited until someone took that one and we grabbed the next one. It was totally meant to be!!! Our taxi drive Mo (yes..that's his name!) was so awesome!! We actually used him the rest of the week :) He is from Jerusalem and so it was cool hearing about where he grew up and what brought him to the states and so on.

Anyways... we went to the Riverwalk again the next night and went to Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. So great! We even got t-shirts (I know I know totally made us known as tourists lol) but it was so great! We went later when it was darker since the day before was still light when we went and man... I loved it both times! We even brought our study materials and studied on the Riverwalk. It was so awesome. Exhausting but totally worth it!

Thursday was our last day of class and our test :/ I hated the test but totally passed and so grateful that all our hard work and studying paid off and we could still enjoy our little trip as well :) Lisa flew home that night after class so I ended up going to the mall nearby with a guy from the class who had been there before with his family. It was great to get to know him more and how he came to be with the company and all that great stuff :)  Originally my plan had been to try and catch a temple session there but with the times and being tired that didn't work out :( but there is always next time!!! It worked out though because then I could skype with Nick when he opened his mission call! (that's another blog post ;) ).

Mo took me and the guy (Alonso) and another girl from class to the airport the next morning. My flights home were totally fine and I was so exhausted that I ended up taking a three hour nap!!! Then talked to Nick and then went and got food and then went to bed. I was so so tired. All in all though it was a GREAT trip and I want to go BACK!!! Seriously San Antonio is now on my list of places to visit and see again because I didn't get to see everything!

Anyhow... wow that was LONG. But it's good for posterity and journal purposes lol. Once Lisa sends me pictures I will post them :) Now back to work this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment