Friday nights back in the day consisted of pizza and movies or during football season, Del Taco and me chillin’ with my Dad. All through high school during football season, we would stop at Del Taco, order our usuals and then head to the game to take stats. Sometimes I will admit, I hated it. I just wanted to stay home and watch a movie with my brothers or sleep but most of the time I loved it. I LOVED walking on the football field with my Dad and feeling like I was a super star or something. Okay, you might think that’s extreme but I felt important being on the field and in the box with my Dad. After high school, I slowly stopped taking stats with him. Mostly because school was keeping me busy and after all, I had a social life. One particular Friday night though, changed my life forever. This particular Friday night, Dad wasn't feeling the greatest and asked my mom to take him to urgent care. She did. I remember getting asked to call one of the guys in the ward who worked at the school to go to the football game and take stats or at least let the coaches know Dad wouldn't be there. I knew something was wrong but I was trying to stay strong for my brothers. I ended up going to the ER with my aunt and there we found out that my Dad had a brain tumor. Once he was transferred to a better hospital we found out that he not only had one tumor, he had several. That night, my life changed forever. Dad could've been taken from us that day but I know that God gave us a little more time with him and for that I'm grateful. Never take life forgranted because it can change in a split second.
My Dad beat the odds. They gave him less than 6 months to live and he made it almost a year. I am so grateful for the time that Heavenly Father gave us with him and I count my blessings every day. I'm grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life to know that I will see him again someday and that he is happy and no longer in pain.
My Dad was one of a kind with a great sense of humor. He spent countless hours helping me with homework or taking me to 4:45 a.m. swim practices or just helping out a friend in need. He taught me to be a good example to the people around me and was always looking to find ways to serve others. I aspire to be like him. Those of you who still have your Dad's here with you, be grateful and treasure every moment.
Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there!!!









kati this was so heart warming. I love you lots!
ReplyDelete