President Boyd K. Packer stated, “Faith, to be faith, must go beyond that for which there is confirming evidence...., must go into the unknown.... must walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness.
There was a time in my life when I walked to the edge of the light and then a few steps into the darkness. It was a Friday in mid October and little did I know that life as I had known it would be forever changed by the end of the day. My Dad was diagnosed with brain cancer and was given less than six months to live. It was a trying time for me and my family. I was in my second semester of the Nursing program with a packed full schedule and finals just a week later. I remember praying and asking for peace and guidance. My testimony of the Gospel was weakened as I wondered why this could be happening to me, and why now. My faith in God was waivering but my doubts were not about rejecting the Gospel, only the fear of the unknown and how I would move on. I remember thinking to myself, How was I going to deal with this and how could I possibly get through school? Pouring out my soul and telling Him that it was all in His hands brought extreme peace and comfort to me. I always knew the Lord loved me but during this trying time, I felt His love even greater.
Priesthood blessings helped give me the comfort I needed to get through finals and come to terms with my Dad’s diagnosis. When I turned to the Lord and poured out my heart, that was when my faith began to grow stronger. I know that with God all things are possible and I had faith that everything would be okay. I knew the Lord loved me and I have the Gospel in my life. I had people around me who helped me and my family get through this tough time. Despite the this major trial we were going through, we were also greatly blessed. My Dad beat the odds. They gave him six months and he made it almost a year. Six months later I graduated from Nursing school. Though I was tried and tested, I was also very blessed. I don’t think I could have gotten through Nursing school with everything else going on without the Faith that I had in the Lord. I trusted in Him and my faith is what saw me through. My testimony of the Gospel grew so much and the plan of Salvation became even more real and important to me. With the Gospel, Families can be together forever. Little did I know that a year later I would be the one helping a close friend come to terms with losing their Dad. I was able to share my struggles and how I had a gained stronger Faith. I was also able to share with them how much our Heavenly Father does indeed love each and every one of us. I was thanked many times for sharing my struggles with them because they could see the light at the end of the tunnel and how I overcame it, they could also. It is amazing to see how much God really does love each and every one us. We go through different trials for different reasons. I know I went through this because I needed to help someone else, just like I had people to help me.
Through this major trial, I truly learned for myself that the Lord loves each and every one of us. And my Faith grew stronger and continues to grow every day. Once our Faith is tried, that is when we receive a true witness. Our faith is continually growing by following the commandments, being righteous and learning through our trials and we are continually blessed.
Okay so it's not the Sabbath now but when I planned on posting this it was :) Hope it helps you or maybe not but this is me and how I'm not at all perfect and how we all go through things for a reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment