Back in September I had applied for a dialysis job that said they were considering new grads. I got a phone call shortly there after from the nurse recruiter and had an interview. It was over an hour long and I didn't know how I felt about it, but I loved her. She was really helpful and caring. The job was in Chinle, Arizona which is on the Navajo Indian Reservation. I was a little weary of it all because there isn't much around there. She had told me at the time that Shiprock, NM was also a maybe possibility and when I looked it up I got really excited because there is an institute building there so I thought it would awesome to go there! Unfortunately at that time she had said that NM had decided to go with someone else. So.... I patiently waited to hear back from this job in AZ.
A couple weeks later I followed up with her to find out that the AZ job had decided to go with someone in house. I had told her that was ok because I had had 2 job interviews here locally. I was then offered a job here but only an on call position. Things didn't go exactly as I would have liked there and the day I sent in my resignation (long story but it was mutual and on good terms) I emailed the recruiter telling her that I was still open to the possibility of relocating if she had any other facilities willing to train a new graduate. That day I got a response back saying that I had a phone interview all set up for that Thursday with New Mexico. I was shocked!! So Thursday came and I had my phone interview and it went really well. She gave me a week to think things over and then called me a week later. I told her I had thought things over and I was really interested but really wanted to come out and check things out. So the following week, my mom and I headed out to Farmington, New Mexico :)
I originally was going to drive out there alone but I'm glad my mom was able to take the time off and make the long drive out there with me. We headed out on Monday and it took us 12 hours. Mainly because once we hit Flagstaff we drove through two snow storms. (According to Google Maps it should only take about 11 hours). Anyhow, I'm proud to say that I drove through a snow storm and made it out alive. Good thing I had my mom with me though!! We got to the hotel and settled in. I called the Admin of the facility and we made plans to meet up the next day.
The next day (Tues) I met her and she took me to lunch where I met another Admin for the facility actually in Farmington. We had lunch (it was soo good!) and then she took me to the facility in Shiprock. Shiprock actually is about 30 miles away from Farmington but the drive is not too bad and there is no traffic so that's good :) I loved the facility and the staff there. The Admin sat me down and discussed the facility and then asked if I was interested in taking a position there. I said of course I would love to! The really awesome thing about it is that they are willing to train me in depth which is what I've been looking for. The downer is they can't give me a start date until all my paperwork is through and I have a New Mexico RN license. The wait will be on California endorsing my license because they take forever with EVERYTHING. So I am not looking to move until January at least. With all the holidays it will take that long to get everything into order.
The next day Mom and I went and wandered the town looking for apartments....which are scarce apparently. I did find one that I wish I had found when we were still there so we could have at least driven by it but it is really cute....at least according to the pictures :) That will also be one of the next things I need to get done is finding a place to live out there but I can't really do that until I have my license so I know I can start working there. I of course told my mom we HAD to go to Target. That's my store and I told my mom that I needed to make sure it was an ok one because I didn't want to start shopping at Wal-Mart. I'm a Target girl...always! If you think that's weird...whatever...my mom does too so you aren't alone lol. The Target was nice and they even have a mall there! The mall was not too big but not small either...the only bummer is they don't have an American Eagle Outfitters...my other store but I'll survive ;)
Farmington is actually a lot like Yucaipa, you have the rough parts and the nice parts. It's actually slightly bigger than Yucaipa too and that's it. There are only a few small towns around and then there is nothing for miles. Serious. I'm posting pictures so you can see haha. Anyways..it has one of the top ten golf courses in America and also hosts the Connie Mack Baseball series...those baseball fields are AMAZING! My brothers will be jealous.
Anyhow...that's my update! Weird to think it's all out in the open. I don't want to jinx anything but I figure since I can't keep it on the down low anymore then the world needs to know. My mom was SO glad when I told her she could finally tell people. So now that you all know you have to come out and visit me!!! It will be a huge change for me but I think it's the right change. The hardest part will be that I don't really know anyone out there and my family is far away. My sister will be the closest to me in Provo about 6-7 hours away. Here are some pictures of our drive to and from :)
| Starting off...nice and sunny with LOTS of desert |
| Hello Snow! |
| This is what I will see every day :) |
| Standing in four states at once... pretty cool huh! Bet you can't say you have ....if you haven't then come and visit me!! :) |
| Four corners :) Don't mind my drabby self lol had to have proof |
| Isn't my mom just the cutest?? |
| Shiprock... the Navajo town got it's name because of this rock that looks like a sunken ship. |
WOW congratulations!!! This is really exciting and I'm so happy for you! I was born in Albuquerque and lived there until I was 9, but don't really remember a lot about it. And you'll be fine that you don't know anyone... I did the exact same thing and things have turned out fine!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Kati!!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Kati! That's great! I had some family in Farmington NM so we visited there fairly often when I was growing up. I hope it's a good experience for you! Good luck!
ReplyDeletethis is SOOOO exciting!! you are going to be a real adult haha....I'm not one yet so I'm JEALOUS!! it looks beautiful! congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteawesome! who kknows where we will end up...maybe close to you in NM.
ReplyDelete