So I was reading this article in the New Era yesterday and it really hit home for me. This is how I felt some people around me acted and at the time I was hurt and angry but I tried not to let it get the best of me. The article talked about how this girl became invisible after her sister had died. Her friends didn't wait for her after school, they didn't walk with her to the bus stop, they didn't say one thing to her. Then at church in Young Women's they were having a discussion about death and the after life and this girl just started to sob. No one moved over to give her a hug and the teacher just went on with the lesson. My heart went out to this girl. Granted the story was probably written years after it had happened but I felt her pain, partly because I've kind of been there.
When someone dies that you are close to, people around you don't know what to say. It was the same thing with my Dad. It still kind of is that way when I meet someone new and they don't know the story. They ask about my family and I tell them about my Mom and my siblings but leave out the part about my Dad. Sometimes it's still too hard to talk about. Then they ask well what about your Dad, where is He? And then I have to say that he passed away and is not here. Then it gets awkward. They say "I'm Sorry" and I say "It's Okay or Thank You" and then there is a pause before the conversation goes to something else. I realize that more often than not I say "It's Okay" because really it is okay. That's the beauty of the Gospel and what I believe in. Families are Forever. And it's okay my Dad isn't here now, because I know I will see him again someday.
Aften my Dad passed away, it was a hard time for me (and my family of course). My friends didn't know what to say or how to act and that was the hardest thing because I just wanted them to act normal. I did have a few who cried with me, sat and hugged me or took me out to ice cream. I will never forget those moments because to me, those moments were what got me through my darkest days. I must admit though that sometimes I still feel invisible to those around me. Partly because a lot of them do not know the whole story. It's not their fault though, everyone is human and that's alright. I haven't shared the whole story and so I'm at blame for wanting to feel noticed or whatever instead of feeling invisible. Maybe someday I will share the whole story for the world to read about how hard it really was, but not today. Our family still struggles but we have managed pretty good so far. And we are a happy family :) Trials bring forth blessings and I know that when we endure to the end, everything is alright. I also believe that when we go through something, we can then be of help to someone else along our path who is also experiencing the same struggle. I have to say that I have been blessed with the knowledge that God loves me and that everything really will be alright and I'm glad that I can be one who will cry with another and give comfort to those who need it.
My heart goes out to those who have felt like that girl did. Invisible and alone. How sad that in that class they all just sat there and did nothing. I pray that whoever reads this will not be one of those and will just show their love by being there for them and loving them. Please do not let anyone feel invisible. These are the suggestions this girl provided:
*Be There For Your Friend
*Include Your Friend in Things You Normally Do
*Don't Feel The Need To Give The Life After Death Sermon
I couldn't agree more with these suggestions. Life is a struggle and we all need people around us to lift us up and help us carry on. I believe I have Angels among me, those who are my true friends and uplift me in my darkest times, those are my earthly angels :) This article really did hit home for me and brought back the memories from 18 months ago when I felt sort of the same. Life is good no matter what happens. God loves us no matter what. Be a Friend to those who need it. And remember, Life is an Adventure Worth Taking... through the bad times and the good :)
Remember that always! God Loves Us All :)
(Those of you who read this who aren't members of the church, the New Era is a magazine our church sends out with articles and stories that the youth can read. If you would like to know more just go to mormon.org)
This was great Kati. I've never lost someone that close to me, but I do know it's hard to know what to say to others when they do. And you have a great outlook on life believing that you will be blessed from your trials :)
ReplyDelete